MadSci Network is a not-for-profit organization devoted to
encouraging an interest in science, and promoting science literacy
at both a K-12 level, and in the general population. When visiting our site,
we record and track information about the materials you access.
We do not sell or share your information with any third parties,
nor make it publically available, unless you choose to enter specific
information on our ask-a-question form.
When visiting our site, the following information is passed to our
webserver and stored in our site's logs:
We use this information in the following manner:
- The Internet address, or IP# of your machine's Internet connection. Examples
include proxy-49.aol.com or 22.214.171.124.
- The time and date at which you accessed the information.
- The page or materials you are accessing.
- The referring link you followed to get to the current page.
- The type of browser and computer operating system that you use.
- Any errors generated due to broken links or potential software errors.
The reports generated are available from our Monthly
Statistics page. This information may also be used in
proposals to obtain funding for the MadSci Network, so that we
may keep it a free service.
For individuals asking questions, we may record the following information:
- Generate monthly statistics concerning traffic and usage of materials
on our site.
- Identify mistakes in files or trouble-shoot errors.
- Identify high-usage materials that may be developed further to
provide additional, useful information.
- Assist with the recruitment of scientists and moderators to review
and answer questions in high volume categories.
- Make certain our materials and interfaces are accessible to
the platforms and browsers used by visitors.
- In addition, we may opt to supply this information to a user's
identified Internet Service Provider concerning any user who blantantly
abuses or attempts to interfere with the functioning of our site.
We store this information in our monthly log files and use it for the following:
- A subject line and area of science must be entered on the form. These
components are stored with additional material that you may enter.
- The following information is optional, and not required to ask a question:
If included, all components except the email address may be made available
in questions posted to the public area of our website. Again, if you do not
wish this information to be publically accessible, we recommend that you
not fill in these areas.
- Your name
- Email address
- School or affiliated institution.
- Grade, or educational level.
More information about Internet Privacy can be found at the
US Federal Trade Commission.
- Track the submission of questions in individual subjects. This
information helps us determine when we need to recruit additional
scientists to field questions, or whether specific subjects should be
added or removed from our existing list.
- Generate information concerning the grade-level of students and others
who access our site.
- Identify commonly asked questions, and create Frequently-Asked-Question
files (FAQs) to address them.
- We will also use this information to trouble-shoot errors or problems in
- In addition, we may opt to supply this information to a user's identified
Internet Service Provider concerning any user who abuses our interfaces
or who submits materials that are rude, obnoxious, that contain expletives,
or threats of any sort.
If you have further questions concerning this policy, please contact us
Our snail mail address is:
P.O. Box 548
Boston, MA 02117
MadSci Home | Information |
Random Knowledge Generator |
MadSci Archives |
Mad Library | MAD Labs |
MAD FAQs |
Ask a ? |
Join Us! |
Help Support MadSci
Free Lesson Plans |